Preschool in Los Angeles, CA 90039
2414 Lakeview Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90039
View on Map »
Is this your business? Claim it!
Our purpose is to provide a safe, secure and challenging environment for our children; to offer them a range of developmentally appropriate activities; and to reflect the diversity of our backgrounds, our community and our world. We emphasize the process of parents and children learning and working together for the social, emotional, physical, intellectual and spiritual growth of all. We cherish each child’s need to play. We acknowledge and value our differences, and respect our children as unique individuals with their own abilities and needs. We actively seek to challenge the impact of bias on our children in our interactions with them and each other and in our choice of educational materials and activities. We work to encourage the growth and empowerment of children and adults in building the cooperative community of Rose Scharlin, respecting all individuals as we work toward our shared goals.
Want more information?
1. The primary goals of the nursery school experience are to build confidence in social interaction, develop self-esteem and promote positive feelings toward learning. We believe it is important to establish an individual relationship with each child in order to create within each child a feeling of being “emotionally safe.” When children are comfortable with all aspects of their surroundings, they will feel free to explore current interests, reach for new experiences and stretch even further into the interests of their peers and the teachings of adults.
2. We want our children to develop a sense of community, to experience the love and responsibility of a cooperative situation and to develop or enhance the ability to care for themselves and others. From this will come the ability to delay personal gratification, take turns and share.
3. We treat each child with kindness, acceptance and respect, and guide them in a positive, non-judgmental and non-shaming manner.
4. In our school, a child’s feelings matter, and the tone and words we choose are an important aspect of how we communicate with each other.
5. We encourage children to feel succesSFul and to have a sense of pride in what they can do.
6. We believe that each child deserves to be valued as an individual. Each child is a unique person, with his or her own pattern and timing for growth and development.
7. We believe in holistic and emergent curriculum. Our school offers experiences that acknowledge the whole child: playing, learning, sharing, feeling, exploring, discovering and creating. Our curriculum offers enough choice to meet individual needs and stimulate learning in all developmental areas-physical, social, emotional and cognitive. The majority of activities are open-ended and process orientEducation Children can choose from activities that adults have set up or that they themselves have spontaneously initiatEducation
8. Our child development philosophy follows the theories of Jean Piaget and Erik Erikson.
9. Structure is provided through a limited number of close-ended activities, circle time and activity-room time and through scheduled routines (i.e., hand washing). We offer freedom with healthy limits, providing an opportunity for children to learn and develop at their own pace by participating in a safe and enriching, child-centered, environment.
10. The goal of discipline is to teach responsibility and foster a child’s emerging inner controls by setting clear limits. We encourage appropriate behavior through behavior modeling, positive language and the teaching of coNFLict resolution skills.